Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Earliest Jigsaw Puzzle

 

Description:

Six piece jigsaw puzzle of a ballerina tying her laces.  It seems to be on wood.  The back side has crayon scribbles on it and remnants of old grey modeling clay. 


Story:

Most of my life I thought this was made in Japan even though the main girl depicted is blond.  I  assumed that because I’ve owned this puzzle as long as I can remember, and I was born in Japan.  But in the lower right corner it says “Printed in the U.S.A."   It may have been sent as a gift, or given to me after we moved state side.  I was two when we came back; about the right age for such a thing.  I don’t have any real memories associated with this puzzle, but like I've said I love jigsaw puzzles and this would be the one I’ve owned the longest, simple as it is.  When I was little I wanted to be a ballerina. I remember thinking that my favorite girl in this picture is the one in the red leotard, in part because red is my favorite color and also because she had dark hair with a little curl to it.

I figure it may have been in a storage box in our shed since it has no soot marks and I can't think of any other reason why I would have salvaged it after the fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment