Friday, February 26, 2021

First Grade Leaf Art





Description: 

Sheet of dark construction paper, might have been black or a very dark brown. My name is written in crayon the top. There are the impressions of six leaves, three maples in orange and three oak in yellow, made with tempera paint.


Story:

It was another first grade art project with Mrs. Kemp. We took leaves and sat them carefully in tempera paint and then applied them to the paper and lifted up the leaf. The trick was to have enough paint that you can see the shape and some of the vein work but avoid blobs.  I think I did OK. The white crayon at the top with my name looks like my own first grade handwriting. My mother kept it in a file for years and then somewhere in my adulthood gave me the file with the art work and all my report cards and some other bits she kept. I know it was pre-fire because there is some soot marks on the edge. I’m guessing it was in a file folder still when I pulled it out of the house. There are old tape marks on the back. I don’t think I ever hung it up, but I think we had a large display of these on our classroom wall for a parents night event.  


No comments:

Post a Comment