Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Geometry constructions



Description:  

Typing paper (that was a thing) cut to squares with black and white stars: one six-point, one five-point. Made using a compass and a straight edge. I also have a few papers ripped out of my geometry notebook explaining the basic method to make them.   


Story:

The notebook pages are mine, and while I really enjoyed that unit of geometry in high school, I was not nearly as talented as my sister Sarah who made a lot of these drawings and carefully inked them in. I liked to fill my bedroom wall with all sorts of things (the bulletin board was not enough), and so I put them up with masking tape -thus after thirty plus years the acid has bled through. Even the coloring in with the black fine point pen is more carefully done than I have patience for. My sisters and I all had the same teachers and from 7th to senior year at St. Thomas math was taught by Mrs. Hollis. 


Most of the geometric art you can see in the picture is Sarah's work. If you can zoom in you can see that the big orange poster is a spiral of a rectangle. It was an assignment to pick a polygon and make a spiral. Sarah had suggested I do the rectangle, so that is the one bit of geometric art on my walls that was mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment